Our vision is to educate and support new graduate nurses to develop confidence, professionalism, expertise and excellent clinical skills. The program provides experience in a diverse and challenging range of specialty nursing environments and has a strong commitment to excellence and a culture of enquiry, research and best practice.
St Vincent’s Private Hospital’s competency based new graduate program offers three pathways for graduates to undertake in their first year of professional practice and development. We commence one intake at the end of February:
- Graduates can take 12 months to complete the competency based program, including up to two rotations. These two rotations can be part of a dedicated Surgical Services program.
- A graduate can initiate acceleration and may undertake the program in a minimum of six months in consultation with senior staff.
2013 New Graduate Open Day
Come along and find out more about the hospital and our new graduate competency based program at our graduate 'open' day event:
- Thursday 30 May at 5:00pm
What we Offer
We offer a truly supportive environment to facilitate the transition from novice practitioner to that of a competent and effective member of the healthcare team. This initiative enables St Vincent’s Private Hospital to contribute and invest in the nursing profession and to provide the highest possible standard of patient care.
Structured yet flexible, the program provides graduates with a comprehensive orientation to the hospital and clinical areas during a supernumerary period. All graduates are assigned a mentor to facilitate their orientation and competency development.
The education department is responsible for the planning, development and professional structure of the program. Meanwhile, clinical nurse educators, attached to each ward or clinical area, oversee the day-to-day implementation of the program and are responsible for maintaining continual evaluation and assessment of clinical competence – they provide feedback and support.
Upon completion of the course graduates are invited to apply for vacant registered nurse positions. New graduates are supported with educational opportunities to develop within a specialty of their choice; this includes sponsorship for postgraduate studies.
Why Choose St Vincent’s Private for your graduate program?
- MAGNET designated hospital
- Casemix index of 1.7, 70 percent more acute than most public hospitals.
- Over 20 years of experience with new graduate nurses.
- Supernumery days.
- Programmed study days including access to simulation centre.
- Scheduled debriefing sessions.
- Opportunity to accelerate your program.
- Daily ward educational sessions.
- Opportunity to attend introduction courses for your allocated speciality.
- Access to on site library.
- A well planned, developed and professionally structured program.
- Continual support and feedback.
- Clinical nurse educators on each ward.
- Preceptors and clinical nurse specialists available for support.
- Professional and friendly workplace.
- High graduate retention rates.
- Community atmosphere.
- Assistance with portfolio development and ongoing continuing professional development.
To apply you must have completed an approved Bachelor of Nursing Degree and be eligible for registration as a registered nurse with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
NAMO applications open Wednesday 5 June 2012 and close Wednesday 17 July at 9.00 am.
To lodge an application click here and select St Vincent's Private Hospital from the available list.